UTAH PHEASANT HUNT CONTINUED

Chief on Point
 I got up early this past Saturday with the plan to pheasant hunt for a couple hours in the morning and then head up to the mountains for a grouse hunt. It ended up being a very warm day. It is so dry this year. It's the second year in a row that it has been noticeably dry. Places where there has been ground water in the past are completely barren. Hopefully we have a good wet winter to combat this drought.

But the action we had that morning was enough to keep me down in the valley so I never left to go and chase grouse. We worked very hard and covered a lot of ground for the few birds we got. Both of my dogs were sore and tired and are not doing much the day after other than laying in the sun.

All though it wasn't the most productive day we still had a good time and saw some good dog work. My brother and nephew joined me with their 2 shorthairs. Together we have a good team of dogs and it's fun to watch them all work together. We also ran into some more Quail but no one could connect with those little buzz bombs. They are sure fun though. I wish we could get some more huntable populations in this area.

The Pack
The highlight of the day for me was when Hazel and I became separated from the rest of the group.
We were walking the top of a dike and she became all birdy. I could see the bird running then disappearing in the cover along the dike. Hazel ran up ahead of the bird and cut it off then came back towards me and relocated it and pointed it. The bird tried to run again away from us in a perpendicular line but had to cross some open ground. The bird stopped right at the edge of the cover. I could see it again and I believe the rooster saw me and knew that it was busted. It held for about 10 seconds and then decided to flush. I was able to knock it down. Hazel was on it and as she picked it up I yelled "Who's a good girl!' She stood there with that bird in her mouth, wagging her entire body and responded with a victory growl back to me. "ROOaaaWWrrOOWWW",  it was totally a Scooby Doo moment. It was almost like she was saying "Did you see that? I'm such a BadA$$" Sometimes with Hazel it's like owning a Wookie-dog and I never learned it's language. She's a hoot and so vocal. I thinks it's so cool and she cracks me up.

Bird Hazel Pointed And Retrieved For Me





Comments

  1. My pudel pointer is also known for the wookie howl. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pudelpointer's rule. I think I will always have one as long as I can hunt.
    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are awesome creatures who aim to please. What kind of boots do you have on her? My boys pads have been good since I started using Tuf-Foot but in between the pads sometimes gets sore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the one complaint I have about my Pudelpointer. Her feet are pretty tender compared to other dog's I've owned. As soon as I think I have her feet conditioned we will have a day either pheasant hunting or chukar hunting that she blows out her feet. Now I just try and keep her booted in those terrains and it sure helps with her stamina. Especially if I'm hunting more than once a week.
    I use medium size 1,000 denier cordura dog booties from dogbooties.com.
    They are easy to use, cheap and they stay on her feet. I use an extra wrap of electrical tape to insure they stay on. I get about 3 (all day) hunts out of a boot with Hazel. Chief my setter will burn through a pair after only one day afield. Cost $3 per boot. I usually order a dozen at a time to help reduce shipping costs.
    https://www.dogbooties.com/shop/1000-denier-cordura®-booties/

    The best longest lasting boots are Lewis Dog Boots. They are made out of recycled tires and last a long time. There is a process to attaching them but once they are on it's hard for them to come off. Gundogsupply, LionCountrySupply, DogsUnlimited and a few other dog equipment suppliers carry them. I use size large in these boots.
    they are a little rough and stiff and can rub blister on your dogs leg if you don't wrap your dogs leg in athletic tape to keep the boots from rubbing against the leg. There are videos online on the proper ways to tape these boots on your dog. It's a process and that's why I like the dog booties better. They are just easier to use and get on and off your dog.
    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used the Lewis but the dog loses a lot of sensation and you can tell as he scrambles around like a maniac on the rocks. For things like mud they are fine, but hunting granite and lava beds he loses tactile ability for sure. Have you tried Tuf-Foot? I know its a widely known product I just didn't think it would work until I tried it. He would tear pads every time we hunted until this last hunt and we went hard for 6 hours and pads were good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree it's a give and take with the boots. Especially the Lewis boots. But with Hazel I have to boot her, especially on Chukar terrain. If I don't I can expect and lame hurting dog for about a week. With boots recovery is only 24 hours. Once she blows out her feet it's hard on her the rest of the season no matter what I do. The only remedy is not to hunt her for two or three weeks. I'd rather use boots and have her in the field. She's used to wearing boots and does ok and I don't feel she looses mobility or climbing ability. Maybe a little agility but not enough that I worry she's going to slip and hurt herself.

    I don't think soft feet is necessarily a Pudelpointer trait but mine has that problem and I have to take precautions. Believe me I'd rather not boot her and I've tried everything from foot treatments to all sorts of boot types. I think it's a cross between her having soft feet and a lack of conditioning. Although I run my dogs at least a couple times a week either hunting or hiking in the foot hills above my house. The terrain above my house is basically chukar type country and she still has issues. Maybe if I could run her every day she would toughen up but I don't have that kind of time. Heck, my brother runs his shorthairs a couple times a week at a grass park and his dogs feet wear like iron. His dogs rarely have issues and I can say that I hunt my dogs about double what he does. My setter has good feet and they have the same exercise and conditioning regimen. I've concluded it's genetic. I'm not knocking the breed or the dog, it is what it is. If I take precautions she's fine and I wouldn't trade her.

    I have tried Tuf-Foot, I do use it and I believe it helps to a degree but for my dog boots are the only things that really work for her. The last year or so I've been using Pad-Heal. It's similar to Tuf-Foot but it's a little thicker. Smells worse than tuf-foot and you have to be sure that it's completely dry before letting the dog in the house or it can stain. I think it works better than Tuf-Foot. At least I feel it aids in healing sore feet better than the other.

    Thanks again for commenting.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Well i jinxed myself on matters of feet. We chukar hunted hard one week and duck hunted the next. The chukar hunting had left small openings that let a bacterial infection from the marsh water seep in. $800 later my boy is on the mend. No more hunting that marsh this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That stinks. Sorry to hear that. I hope your dog is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts