FINALLY... GROUSE HUNT... OPENING WEEKEND 2016


Early morning hunt. Dreading the sunrise and the heat it will bring.

I’m giddy, sitting in my dark driveway at 5:30 am waiting for my brother to arrive at my home so we can head up the mountain for our first hunt of the 2016-17 season. The dogs are loaded, my beretta has a new coat of oil, e-collars are charged, boots have been cleaned and waterproofed, vest has been cleaned, shells have been purchased. We are ready to go. 

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

It’s been a long, hot summer and I haven’t been able to get into the hills as much as I’d like. We’re all out of shape but, our will is strong.  We arrive at our spot just behind the sunrise. I put booties on my Pudelpointer and a e-collar collar on my setter. I grab plenty of water because it’s going to be hot within a couple hours. I grab the gun and wade into the cover with hopeful feelings of anticipation. 
This is my happy place. This is my fuel for another week in the office. I love hunting over bird dogs.


Back at grouse camp

The hunting season is finally here. It seems like it’s been forever since last season. We had a decent opening weekend and was able to get out a couple times. We moved a few birds and were lucky enough bring a some home.

My brother, his family and my son and I camped out one evening last weekend and then had a morning hunt after wards.
It was a good time and hopefully we can do it again soon.

Oakley did most the heavy lifting last weekend. Good dog, strong instincts.

chain gang




Comments

Popular Posts